RE: Help with general screen terminology

Subject: RE: Help with general screen terminology
From: Jan Bishop <JBishop -at- hach -dot- com>
To: "'stephanie -at- storerunner -dot- com'" <stephanie -at- storerunner -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:48:08 -0600

<snip>
And later in Sharon's message:
>>Also, is "repository" an OK end-user term?

Depends on the education level or expertise level of your users.
"Repository" is a techie word, in my experience. "Depository" has almost
the same meaning, and beginning-level thinkers might relate to that word
easier. {List?} I like to go to www.thesaurus.com to find different
words -- you might like to give that a try.

<snip>

Repository has some religious connotations in the Catholic church -- it is
where the Host is kept during lent.

Otherwise, it is a recognized synonym for depository, with the possible
connotation with long-term storage; although I think depository has a
similar connotation.

Go with the most-recognized term. I once wrote a recommendation in which I
used the term "self-possessed." The recipient of the letter thought the
young woman in question had demonic inclinations. Fortunately, she called
and I could rectify the misunderstanding.

This is,

Jan

not even mentioning the synonym for stingy that drew heated debate in
Washington recently!