RE: Burn off

Subject: RE: Burn off
From: Joanne Meehl <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:36:40 -0400

Yay, Rima!
Well-said.
Judging from the lack of response, I'm guessing there are other listers who
agree with your post but are hesitating over how to respond--which only
validates what you say in your post. Hmmm....
When I was new to the list, I posted a question that was savaged by another
lister's "what really makes me SICK about this type of question" response. I
was surprised that this person could get so worked up over my question
(which they'd misunderstood, by the way). But I shrugged it off, assuming
their attitude that morning had been tainted by, perhaps, listening to too
much Howard Stern.
Another time, a newbie lister profusely apologized before asking her
question; I imagined her desperate for help but terrified she would be
attacked by listers who have appointed themselves the Official
Curmudgeon(s). I e-mailed her to encourage her to NOT apologize, and she
thanked me. In language I cannot use here, I told her to [blank] what others
think, don't grovel, she's a professional who has a question so ask it.
There are too many resourceful and helpful people on the list to have them
overruled by a few cranky ones. As the wizard himself said, "Pay no
attention to that man behind the curtain".

Joanne Meehl