RE: Humor in technical writing

Subject: RE: Humor in technical writing
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:09:56 -0700

Jill Waite belives about the commonly touted Spanish meaning for Nova and
"Coca Cola ('bite the wax tadpole" in Chinese)'":

> These two have a high probability of being urban legends, not real truths.
> Being a professional wordsmith and very interested in "word candy" of all
> types, I often use (and recommend highly) the Urban Legends
> Reference Pages
> (www.snopes.com).

Urban legend? "No va?" Didn't you ever study Spanish? That's pretty basic.

I haven't heard the Coca Cola one before, though, and a quick look at an
online Chinese-English dictionary didn't reveal any meanings like "bite the
wax tadpole." Most entertaining translation I get is "the scallion stalk
tasted good," but due to a vast number of possible tonal variations, you
could come up with many others. Check out
http://www.tigernt.com/cedict.shtml for Chinese translations...

Cheers,
John Locke (freshly back from a month in China)
http://www.freelock.com