RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'Lois Patterson'" <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:45:56 -0400

>>I've been happy with Paint Shop Pro, but I've been hearing from several
>>different printers that they really want the graphics produced in
>>Illustrator and PhotoShop. I can't see what the difference would be
provided
>>the file formats are correct. What am I missing here?
>>Lois Patterson

I think their issue isn't really the tool, it's what you do with it.
When I learned PhotoShop, I was forced to learn how to be a power user very
quickly, because we were using it to generate glossy-magazine quality
grey-scale photos.
I did LOTS of tests, with all different kinds of resolutions, unsharp masks,
dot shapes, draft vs. final production paper, everything.

As a result, I tend to work with my PaintShop settings a lot; I can make it
do everything I need to do to produce high-quality graphics that work in
printed Word documents, and in the online help (well, first I had a lot to
learn about Acrobat settings, but that was okay).

If you simply do a screen capture, and don't fuss with any of the settings,
your printer may be thinking that there is a lot of tweaking that could be
done to clean up all those little things, that aren't a big deal for you.
Many technical writers I know simply aren't aware of all the things you can
do to a graphic, because they can produce a "good enough" graphic without
learning all that stuff. And learning can be time intensive, and even
expensive, as you mess with different settings and see how the printer deals
with them.

It's up to you and your manager to determine how much bang for the buck you
can get by learning to tweak extensively.