RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: RE: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:52:31 -0700

Lois Patterson writes:

>I've been happy with Paint Shop Pro, but I've been hearing from several
>different printers that they really want the graphics produced in
>Illustrator and PhotoShop. I can't see what the difference would be
provided
>the file formats are correct. What am I missing here?

Printers like using what they are familiar with and what they perceive as
being stable (can't really blame them). Paint Shop Pro creates good quality
TIF, GIF, BMP, and JPG files. They should not be a problem for a printer as
far as I know. In most cases, you would only create bitmap in EPS format if
you needed a clipping path. If that is the case, then Photoshop is the way
to go. If you are creating vector graphics, then I would (and do) use
Illustrator.

Paint Shop Pro has a nice screen grabber, the interface is simple, and it is
easy to accomplish most of the tasks that we need for our docs. I use
Photoshop when creating specialized graphics for our HTML help. Company
logos, browse buttons, etc.

Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group
Yardi Systems, Inc.