RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...

Subject: RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:34:34 -0400

Hallo:

I used Ventura from the Xerox days at version 2 in GEM through version 7 and
have version 8. I have not played with Ventura now in a couple of years. The
reason I left Ventura, for full-time work with FrameMaker (a brief trist
with Word mixed in these years) was that while Ventura had an edge on price
and while it had an edge on marketed features, I found that many of the
features were broken and the program tended to be very unreliable . . .
which seemed to be the niche Corel filled: many features, curt-rate prices,
so-so stability and quality. Now, this is just my perception and is
perfectly acceptable, IMHO, for the mass consumer market . . ..

I also had been using FrameMaker, on and off from version 3, and when I
finally got tired of using Ventura as my main weapon, and having ruled out
Word and Interleaf for other reasons, I jumped ship to FrameMaker with
little difficulty. I agree that FrameMaker is more expensive, as far as the
initial, short-term expenditure goes, but what is your time worth and what
is the cost for missing a deadline because of a bug?

Is FrameMaker 100% bug free? No. Does FrameMaker claim as many features as
Ventura? No. Is FrameMaker more stable than Ventura? Absolutely. IMHO,
FrameMaker is the best tool for the DTP/tech writing job.

OTOH, there are Ventura groups out there that are very helpful and might be
able to help you overcome some of the hurdles you face, but I lost track of
them after the regulars left http://www.i-us.com (formerly Corelnet). I
recommend you check these resources before moving again.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com