best application for taking screenshots (Windows)

Subject: best application for taking screenshots (Windows)
From: "Slimmer, Joanna" <JSlimmer -at- simpletel -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:18:02 -0500

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on apps to take screenshots with on Windows. (If I
was using a Mac and therefore Snapz Pro at work, I wouldn't be writing this
email, but I'm not so I am. Or something.) I'm capturing mainly Java
applets/servlets in their own window and those are coming out fine. My
problem is that I'm also capturing web pages displayed by IE, but do not
want to display the browser's own border/menu bar/masthead/whatever. Getting
the desired affect with the latter material is proving difficult.

I'm on NT4 (I know just enough to be dangerous), and I've used the following
methods:

1. bring window to fore, Alt-PrintScreen, paste into new Photoshop document,
then alter, save as TIFF/256.
2. bring window to fore, select window section in Snag It Pro, save as
TIFF/256.

My problem with #1 is that after taking the screenshot of the entire window,
I then have to go back and manually alter the borders so that I have a
uniform border around the entire window. My problem with #2 is that the
border that Snag It Pro puts around the captured information is not uniform
(top and left borders are a few points larger than bottom and right
borders.)

Do any of you have recommendations for:

An application that will capture screenshots with uniform borders?
Preferences I need to change in Snag It to make uniform borders (haven't
been able to find anything)
Or an easier way to modify the screenshots in Photoshop than my current
method (cutting and pasting the sides of the window borders, which includes
a lot of minute and quickly painful mouse movement at like 300%)?

Insane thanks in advance,
Joanna

Joanna Slimmer
TEK-ni-kul RI-tur