Adobe Photoshop Justification -- Summary

Subject: Adobe Photoshop Justification -- Summary
From: "Fayth Ross" <fross -at- tomax -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:33:06 -0600

Thank you everyone for your responses regarding the "Adobe Photoshop"
posting. I've been lurking on the list for a while and this was my first
posting. Thanks for making this such a positive experience and for all of
your advice and ideas...

The feedback I received indicated that most people use either Photoshop or
Paint Shop Pro. Respondents indicated preferences for either program, and
a brief description of the contribution ideas appears below.

I've submitted my report, and my manager has approved Photoshop for the new
developer (HOORAY!) We are, however, looking to hire an associate
courseware developer, and I believe I'll look in to Paint Shop Pro as it is
a less expensive option and seems like it will more than adequately do
everything we were hoping for.

Thanks again for your help --

Fayth

Photoshop Benefits and Features:
* Editing, touching up, and producing screen captures
* Harmonizing images from various sources
* Processing/editing raster-based PDFs
* Developing web graphics
* Exports and imports a variety of graphic formats
* Layering feature -- allows you to reuse graphic files
* More reliable (doesn't crash)
* Saves time and money if writers are familiar with the product
* Best quality graphics for print, online docs, and web sites
* Advanced conversion and manipulation features
* Ability to avoid bothering marketing for image editing, etc.
* Ability to share files
* Preferred by printing industry?
* Multiple formats
* Photographs and effects
* Improve quality and reduce production time
* Various kinds of illustration
* Users won't "out grow" Photoshop
* History palette (with multiple levels of undo)
* Industry Standard

Paint Shop Pro Benefits and Features:
* Quick to learn, easy to use
* Nice interface
* Inexpensive and capable of doing 90% of what Photoshop does
* Has a nice screen capture program which handles screen captures
proficiently and effectively
* Offers batch file conversion
* Has a GIF animation program
* Saves in all file formats