RE: Burn off

Subject: RE: Burn off
From: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: PMargaritis -at- alldata -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:48:28 EDT

I too must side with Andrew on this one. I'm sure that I speak for others on the list when I say that my silence didn't mean that I was siding against him -- not that it's us vs. them. It isn't, or at least it needn't be.

I found his post inspiring. I feel burned out and am in the middle of cranking out a document under an unreasonable deadline, and he said just what I needed to hear, which was essentially, "Stop whining. Do your job. It could be worse." Think of it as the voice of reason, not the voice of ridicule.

He's absolutely right, particularly in a corporate world where we expect the average non-writer/hiring manager to know what "writing well" means. They don't know, they don't care, and they never will.

So crank it out. Write as well as you can under the circumstances, and produce an accurate, informative product. And in a related Platonic principle, get technical, because that's all that will keep you viable in the end, particularly when the market narrows. What's wrong with that advice? Sure, you should try to improve your process and your writing where and when you can, but if you don't understand what you're writing about and you don't produce something substantive and useful, you're wasting time.

I thought that Andrew was a jerk when I first read one of his posts. But now I eagerly await them, because I know that he's not being personal. He's just pointing out some weaknesses that *all* of us are inclined to have at one time or another.

So if you're a novice writer or new to this listserv and Andrew has offended thee, don't flame the guy or leave mad. I don't think that he would be posting abrasive advice if he didn't think that it would motivate all of us to examine ourselves and improve. The intent, I believe, is not to belittle, but to teach.

Regards,

Dawson

Sorry. I have to side with Andrew here.