RE: Humor in technical writing

Subject: RE: Humor in technical writing
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: rhoggan -at- lewis -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:13:08 -0700

At 11:19 AM 9/28/00 -0500, rhoggan -at- lewis -dot- com wrote:

>As any senior technical writer will tell you:

>Humor in technical writing? No, don't do it.

I agree completely. What might be funny to you, may be offensive to me. If
your users need comic relief, they can turn on the TV set or go to a comedy
act. Up to this point, I haven't found an employer that lets me spend eight
hours a day watching television.
Just lately, I've seen some humor in ads and billboards that offends me in a religious manner. One is an ad for the zoo's new exhibit for birds of prey. It says something like "Prey before you eat." I find it offensive in an annoyed way, but I'm sure others think it's really funny. You cannot anticipate everything that someone else will find offensive. That's why I would avoid humor in tech writing.

Marilynne
Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM