RE: Setting expectations for external reviews

Subject: RE: Setting expectations for external reviews
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:41:51 -0400

You don't mention whether this was an ad agency, usability consulting group,
or some other kind of consulting group. However, for $4000 they should have
provided real heuristic analysis, not the copy editing and proofing you all
would have done before release. Or they should have called it what it
was--outsourcing the editing and proofing.

Heuristic testing uncovers flaws in navigation, flow and the interface
between the user and the application. While the argument should be made for
testing a help system, heuristic testing usually applies to the product
interface. Unless your "agency" was some sort of communications consulting
firm, your organization wasted $4000. Particularly in light of the fact
that no attention was paid to the product's development cycle, and the
documentation portion thereof. Two days to recapture that much of a system
is totally unrealistic.

Find a copy of the contract--what they mean by heuristic testing is
decidedly different than what the usability gurus out there mean. It sounds
as if your marketing folks have picked up on a buzzword and totally
misapplied it to the product strategy. Perhaps they were looking for some
way to promote the concept that the product had been heuristically tested.
I'd find out what marketing really wanted before meeting with the outside
firm.

But, I wouldn't ignore their copy editing suggestions, I would review them
and use them as appropriate. In the meantime, check the last issue of
Technical Communications, the STC research journal. The focus was on
developing and applying heuristic testing to web sites, but much of the
basic information is applicable to any product. Once you get up to speed on
what testing can do, and decide if the testing should apply only to the
on-line support or the whole product, then you can set more realistic
expectations for this company and any future relationship.

MTC
Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb