I need to document what I know...

Subject: I need to document what I know...
From: Sigrid Schoepel <sschoepe -at- adacgeo -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:59:37 -0500

I'd like advice, or examples of problems you had and how they could have
been solved, when you went on vacation or took a leave of absence and
had to leave info for the other existing writer(s) and possible new
writers who start during your absence. What kinds of things might I
overlook?

We've got a style guide that I'm making sure is updated.
We have templates.
We have a network directory of all the user documentation/graphics/etc.
We have a draft of what's called a "standard of practice" that includes
who's responsible for what types of documents, how to obtain part
numbers, how to archive them, how to route them for review, and how to
get them published.
I'm adding info to the style guide to make it more of a tech doc
department guide so others know how to update our tech doc web site and
handle a few other odd little requests that come from marketing,
engineering, or quality assurance (mostly graphics manipulation).

I'm going to leave a list of where I am on each of my projects for
whomever has to fiddle with them while I'm gone. And, I've got two weeks
to a month before I go on leave so I have time to implement changes
necessary to make the other writer's lives easier.

Thanks,
Sigrid

--
Sigrid Schoepel
ADAC Laboratories, Radiation Therapy Products

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software.