RE: Burn off

Subject: RE: Burn off
From: Amy_Smith/CAM/Lotus <Amy_Smith/CAM/Lotus -at- lotus -dot- com>
To: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:06:12 -0400

Dawson McKnight writes:

<snip>
>I too must side with Andrew on this one. I'm sure that I speak for
others
>on the list when I say that my silence didn't mean that I was siding
against
>him -- not that it's us vs. them. It isn't, or at least it needn't be...
>I found his post inspiring....he said just
>what I needed to hear, which was essentially, "Stop whining. Do your
job.
>It could be worse." Think of it as the voice of reason, not the voice of

>ridicule.

Ditto for me.

I always enjoy reading Andrew's posts. While I may not always agree with
everything he says, I appreciate his ability to cut to the heart of the
matter.

In this case, I am in violent agreement. The market has never been better.
Writers can (and are) picking and choosing the jobs they want with the
conditions they want - money, laptops, easy commutes. I'm not saying that
the original poster isn't entitled to his feelings, but there's certainly
a lot he can do to improve things. What it really boils down to is knowing
what he wants, and none of us can help him there.

In the interests of trying to be helpful, I pass along the best piece of
advice I ever received, in regards to coping with overwork, stress, and
burnout - "Just do the next thing."

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Amy

Amy Smith, Notes User Assistance Group
Lotus Development Corp.
617/693-9733
amy_smith -at- lotus -dot- com

"To have a reason to get up in the morning, it is necessary to possess a
guiding principle. A belief of some kind. A bumper sticker if you will." -
Judith Guest