RE: Files in pdf Format

Subject: RE: Files in pdf Format
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:59:15 -0400

Ashu wrote:

"Could you please let me know how to create documents in pdf format. Which
software is used for this purpose? Actually, the concept is absolutely new
to me, therefore I would like to know as much as possible."

In a nutshell:

Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is *the* standard for electronic
versions of datasheets and other user documentation in the high tech world.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is free (http://www.adobe.com/), and with minimal fuss
it can be distributed with your document files. Adobe Distiller is used to
create PDF files; Adobe Acrobat is used to edit them.

Why use PDF? The obvious benefit is that the reader is free and may be
distributed to your customers. The files can be displayed on major
platforms. The documents are (mostly) static; that is, what you send is
what your customer sees (unlike Word documents, which respond to differences
in local settings).

PDF files are usually smaller than the original document files, making them
more attractive to send via email or download from the Web. When the files
are created, they can be optimized for printing or screen display, and they
can be configured to prevent printing and copying.

On the down side, they make lousy intermediate files. PDF is geared toward
end users. It is possible to cut and paste from PDF files, but the results
tend to range from barely adequate to useless. Unfortunately, because PDF
is so popular, it tends to be mistaken for an adequate intermediate or
archival format.

While the reader is free, the file creation software usually is not. (There
is some free software out there, if you want to take the time to find it and
make it work for you.)

Cheers ... Kim
kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com