Re: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...

Subject: Re: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...
From: joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:36:03 -0400

On 28 September, Craig Power wrote:

> But now, I'm having serious doubts about the reliability of Ventura.
My
> group has found it to be a very frustrating piece of software: a lot
of
> unexplained crashes and other headaches.

Craig,

We've been using Ventura since V1.1 (the original GEM version). We're
very happy, and more to the point, much more productive with V8 than
with any preceding version.

It's true that the original release of Ventura V8 a year or two ago
had some problems, but SP2 has cured more problems than we actually
saw and, despite Ventura being a very memory intensive app (and
Windows being a very poor memory manager) there are _very_ few
crashes. V8.5, due "soon" will make Ventura even better, and V9 is in
the planning stages.

By contrast, FrameMaker's last release, the first one in several
years, was primarily a bug fix; there's been nothing new in Frame for
a long time. Of course, if nothing is added, there's nothing to go
wrong. I suppose that can be a positive, unless you need the new
features that aren't there! <g>

If you haven't yet installed SP2 for Ventura 8, you can download
CV8SP2EN.EXE from:

http://www.corel.com/support/ftpsite/pub/ventura/ventura8/index.htm

And for _lots_ of free help from very experienced volunteer C_Techs
and other longtime users, log onto the Ventura 8 newsgroup. Post a
message describing your problem and you'll find several knowledgeable
and useful responses within a day at most, more often within hours.

To visit the list of the newsgroups supporting all of Corel's
products, go to:

http://www.corel.com/support/options/online_newsgroups.htm#ventura

To automatically log onto the Ventura 8 newsgroup, look under Corel
Newsgroups near the top of the page. Click on Corel Ventura, the
ninth one down that part of the list, then select Ventura 8.

Or, if you know how to log onto a newsgroup directly, go to:

You already know that you can do more more easily with Ventura and if
you apply SP2 and give Ventura another try, I think you'll be very
pleasantly surprised at its stability.

HTH,
Joe Miller

Senior Editor
Packard BioScience Company
joemiller -at- packardbioscience -dot- com

PS: Please feel free to send me email with questions/comments. I'd be pleased to help.