RE: Choices other than Word

Subject: RE: Choices other than Word
From: "Metzger, Lucinda" <cmetzger -at- dukane -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:27:30 -0500

Dan said:

"Quark Express, Adobe InDesign, and Corel Ventura are page layout programs,
mainly used for magazine production, etc., although some tech writers do a
bang-up job creating technical docs using them...Quark, Ventura, and
InDesign
are generally not considered the best choice for writing tech docs. They
focus
on graphics intensive, single-page layouts. Maintaining multiple text flows
or
creating TOC's and indexes would be a manual procedure in these programs."

Emphatically, NO, NO, NO!!!

Ventura is *NOT* in the same category as Quark and InDesign in the ways you
describe. It was expressly designed for doing long technical documents. Its
ability to handle complex documents with multiple chapters, lots of
graphics, tons of cross references, etc. is still its greatest strength.
Ventura easily handles multiple text flows, and has auto TOC and indexing
features.

That said, Ventura can also handle short, graphics-intensive documents with
ease. I don't use it to create 4-color glossies because that's not part of
my job, but I know people who do.

Dan, I'm not jumping on you personally, but I could not let those inaccurate
statements go without comment. Ventura has some foibles (many of which can
be fixed) but it is still an excellent program, and has many fiercely loyal
users. It should be more widely marketed than it has been for the last few
years -- shame on Corel for dropping the ball there. If more people knew the
types of things you can do with Ventura and realized that it is still a
contender in the DTP arena, maybe we Ventura users wouldn't be such a
minority.

Cindy Metzger
Senior Technical Writer
Dukane Corporation