RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...

Subject: RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...
From: Kent Newton <KNewton -at- mke -dot- catalystwms -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:25:28 -0500

Sean Brierley writes:

>To use FrameMaker with ForeHelp, you save the FrameMaker book as MIF, a
>native binary format of FrameMaker, and import the MIF into ForeHelp. I've
>not actually done this but suspect you have to then edit the formatting. I
>do suspect--but do not know--that this would be easier than the RoboHelp
>thing.

First, you must use ForeHelp 4.0 to import a MIF file. Earlier versions do
not support it.

Second, MIF is an ASCII (not binary) format of a FrameMaker document that
can be opened by any text editor.

Third, I have used ForeHelp with MIF files. You can map your Frame styles
(which are embedded in the MIF file) to ForeHelp styles. When you import the
MIF file, your paragraph and character styles are retained or modified as
appropriate (depending on how you set up your ForeHelp styles). It is
actually quite painless. If you want to create help files from FrameMaker,
I would recommend ForeHelp.

Kent Newton
Supervisor, Documentation Services
Catalyst International, Inc.
Tel: (414) 362-6836
Email: knewton -at- mke -dot- catalystwms -dot- com