RE: print-prep (was: Adobe Photoshop Justification

Subject: RE: print-prep (was: Adobe Photoshop Justification
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: <KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:44:15 -0400

>>So, what you seem to be saying is:

>>"Each and every technical writer shall re-invent the wheel,
>> in order to achieve initiation and an acceptable adeptness
>> in the mysteries of pre-press document production."

I think that the issue isn't whether tech writers' output is fairly
consistent, because much of our work does tend to have similar requirements,
but what proportion materials produced by technical writers are the paying
customer base of either graphics processing packages, or printers.

And the answer is "Pretty low."

Just as Word can be used by everybody from PH Bosses to expert Tech Writers,
graphics packages can be used by everyone from writers doing screen shots to
marketing geeks creating flying logos that flash in 22 different colors.

A good printer can be an invaluable asset. They can propose cheaper or more
glamorous alternatives alternatives, they can catch lots of mistakes, they
stand out on the floor and MAKE SURE your job gets printed in time for a
trade show.

But they have requirements, too, and they, like us, are the captive of the
PTB in the software industry. Think of all the discussions we have about 72
dpi vs. 96 dpi (Adobe vs. Microsoft), and different printer drivers. Or am I
the only one old enough to remember manually programming HP printers in PCL?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day I can have Majel Barrett's voice
on a computer, prompting me to exactly the right choice at this time. Until
then, I'll keep studying this stuff.