RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...

Subject: RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:49:56 -0400

joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com wrote:
> By contrast, FrameMaker's last release, the first one in several years,
> was primarily a bug fix; there's been nothing new in Frame for a long
> time. Of course, if nothing is added, there's nothing to go wrong.

FrameMaker has had a release every two years, for almost ten years.
If you're complaining that it took four years to get from 5.0 to 6.0
due to the 5.5 release, personally I prefer bug fixes to creeping
featurism. I would also point out that other software programs have
had full-number releases with fewer new features than the jump from
FM5.0 to FM5.5.

I realize I sound a little belligerent here. I'm a known FM bigot,
and I don't like to see people taking cheap shots at it. There are
plenty of valid criticisms, but release schedule is not one of them.

> I suppose that can be a positive, unless you need the new features
> that aren't there! <g>

If you want to get all weepy over the sparkly new features that FM
is missing, buy me a drink and I'll tell you how FM could have been
the primary tool for web page creation and browsing. (*sigh*)

Brierley, Sean wrote:
> To use FrameMaker with ForeHelp, you save the FrameMaker book as MIF,
> a native binary format of FrameMaker,

MIF (Maker Interchange Format) is an ASCII format.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu