RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...

Subject: RE: Ventura, FrameMaker, ...
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:09:43 -0400

Hallo:

There is a benefit to evolving rather than revolutionising. Ventura
revolutionised from version 5 to Version 7 and lost or wrote off a fair
number of their installed base in the process. While many, including myself,
were underwhelmed by the FrameMaker 6 release, it does not require training,
re-education, or a change in workflow. And, unlike the Ventura 7 revolution,
it does import previous versions very well.

> I realize I sound a little belligerent here. I'm a known FM bigot,
> and I don't like to see people taking cheap shots at it. There are
> plenty of valid criticisms, but release schedule is not one of them.

A tool is a tool is a tool. I am more interested in the talent using the
tool. Although, as professionals, we must have a preference. Mine, also, is
for FrameMaker.

> If you want to get all weepy over the sparkly new features that FM
> is missing, buy me a drink and I'll tell you how FM could have been
> the primary tool for web page creation and browsing. (*sigh*)

Nah, not with Adobe's marketing strategy <vbg>. Nevertheless, look me up the
next time you are in Hartford . . ..

> Brierley, Sean wrote:
> > To use FrameMaker with ForeHelp, you save the FrameMaker book as MIF,
> > a native binary format of FrameMaker,
>
> MIF (Maker Interchange Format) is an ASCII format.

Yeah, I knew that, just a mental issue and I am pleased to report I am back
on my prescription. FM is the binary. Duh.

> --
> Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu

Sean "Calvin" Brierley
sean -at- quodata -dot- com