Reveal codes (Was: Does anyone still use Word Perfect?)

Subject: Reveal codes (Was: Does anyone still use Word Perfect?)
From: Dan Hall <Dan -at- cooper -dot- com>
To: "Techwrl List (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:51:34 -0700

Mark:

The best way to explain why folks loved the "reveal codes" feature is to
provide two examples.

Frequently wp programs have errors introduced in them during editing. For
instance, if you open a blank doc in Word, change the font from the default,
and start typing, all is well. However, it is possible to delete the
"hidden" code that changes the font in your document, or to move the cursor
past that "hidden" code, which means the font will change from the one you
specified back to the default. This is a source of frustration for many word
users. You can't see the codes, but they effect the way the program works.

Another example: I'd guess you've had experience with Word's notoriously
poor outlining tool. You enter a roman numeral (I), and Word assumes you
want to start an outline. If you use this tool, you'll inevitably see
problems. The numbering gets off if you try to introduce a comment line. Or
you delete a sub point and the other points don't renumber/letter.

When we could see and edit these codes, avoiding these problems was easier.
Revealing codes allowed users to see where the problem was, which frequently
was enough information to fix it. Now, when this type of problem occurs, you
have to guess at what happened, since you can't "see" the codes.

HTH

Dan Hall
dan -at- cooper -dot- com

Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.
Johann Christian Friedrich von Schiller, The Maid of Orleans