RE: More help needed

Subject: RE: More help needed
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:45:00 -0700

Sharon,

It depends on the requirements of the application you are documenting and
the requirements of your readers. In a vacuum, there is no "best" method.
I've used both methods.

However, here are some things to consider:

1. Is time a factor?

It will take less time to construct a table (Field Name, Description,
Format) and use the same format for every screen than it will to go through
each step for each screen.

2. Is there a required sequence of steps or can the user enter info into the
fields in more or less any order?

If there is a required sequence, the step by step approach is probably
better.

3. How many fields are there on a screen?

If there are say about 20 (pick a number, any number, greater than about 15)
or more fields, the step by step approach will be very long, spreading over
lots of pages of similar looking text and the reader will easily get lost.
Readers really hate to be confused when reading step by step instructions.
In this case the table might be better.

4. How much information needs to be stated for each field?

If most of the fields are more or less self explanatory (Last Name, ID
Number, etc) where only a paragraph or two is needed to fully inform the
reader, the table might be better. However, if you are explaining the
theory of relativity as you discuss the fields, with lots of supporting text
needed, then the step by step approach is probably better.

5. Do you and your readers want/need/demand conciseness or thoroughness?

Table for conciseness; step by step for thoroughness.

Now put all these considerations into the mix, add some common sense, stir a
little, and you and your boss will probably come to the same position
(unless one of you is just stubborn.)

Good Luck and let us know what you and your boss decide.

Jim Hager
hhager -at- dc -dot- com