FrameMaker and Databases

Subject: FrameMaker and Databases
From: "Peter Lucas" <peterlucas -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: <framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:18:58 -0700

I'm using FrameMaker 5.5 on Win 98.

Our company produces a database front end that our clients use to store
information relevant to their industry. The database they (and we) use is
Sybase SQL Anywhere which is ODBC compliant.

For our product, we have hundreds of reports our clients use to help them
make sense of their information. Information about these reports such as the
report title, description, notes, etc., is stored in the database also. We
want to produce a "Report Catalog" in FrameMaker which would contain fields,
etc., from that database.

We want to be able to link the FrameMaker catalog to the database so we only
have to change the information in the database, open FrameMaker, and print
an updated catalog.

What add-on products are available for FrameMaker that would allow us to do
that? I don't know any programming languages, and I don't have any
experience with development kits or SGML. I want a package that will somehow
plug in to FrameMaker and provide the functionality I'm looking for.

Does anything like this exist?

Thanks!

Peter Lucas
Decade Software Company