RE: moving files between devices

Subject: RE: moving files between devices
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:23:43 -0600

John Posasa asked..."I find myself working with two computers at work and
would like to
move files between them. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this
through the USB port?..."

I don't know about doing this using a USB port, but I do have a solution
that I use reliably. First, I have two hard disks in my computers at work
and home. One disk is for the operating system and programs. The second disk
is for the documents. I obtained a CRU brand disk drive enclosure and
mounting frames that allows one to mount the disk drive in a 5.5 inch drive
bay. The system consists of a receiving frame that mounts permanently in the
computer and a removable cartridge that slides into the frame. With
receiving frames installed in your home and office computers, you can simply
take the entire disk drive with you between your home and work offices.

These cartridges and receiving frames are available from Dirt Cheap Drives
over the internet. They have models for IDE and various flavors of SCSI. We
use them on our test computers here at work. We have an assortment of
removable cartridges with drives, allowing us to boot a test computer under
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 and LINUX.

Martin