Re: PDF's Jazzing them up

Subject: Re: PDF's Jazzing them up
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:03:40 +0100

> There's a couple of things to be considered here:

1 Will the manual be used online - if this is the case then you can use
colour for heading etc. I've seen this done quite often with results ranging
from pretty good to terrible. Need to look at what colours look good online etc.
You also need to consider what colours will look like when printed on a standard
printer - most PDFs tend to get printed out, either whole or in part.

2 If it's not for use online and the user is going to print it out then
anything you do needs to look good when printed. You also need to consider
print and download times - will any changes you make affect these?

Personally, if the printed manual is well written, well laid out etc I'd be very
loath to try and jazz the PDF up at all. If you make changes that you think
enhance the look and feel of the PDF then there should be no real reason why
these shouldn't be in the printed version. I've only mentioned the look and
feel here - I assume that links from the TOC/index would be added as standard

--
Damien Braniff
Technical Author