Re: Transferring files - CONCLUSION

Subject: Re: Transferring files - CONCLUSION
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dan and Peter, and all..

For those that are curious about my transferring files quest, based
on Dan and Peter's lead, I looked into the IR solution at CDW.

Following is a description of what I went with. Note: I have no stake
in CDW or the mfg of the product, just thought others might be in the
same boat:

---------
No need to worry about connecting to your PC for file transfers, just
add this USB infrared adapter to your PC and make transfers easy

XTNDAccess IrDA USB Adapter enables portable computer users to
transfer files back and forth to a desktop PC without connecting
cables at speeds up to 4Mbps. The ideal solution for portables,
digital cameras, and handheld devices. Supports IrDA infrared
communication standard 1.1 Supports fast infrared (FIR) Transmits and
receives data up to 4Mbps Supports self-powered operation Operates up
to one meter (3 feet) away Connects to a standard PC USB port
Supports Windows 98/2000 operating systems Includes file transfer
software with IrDA stacks for Windows
----------------

I went with an external because both my work and home desktops have
USB and i can throw it in my laptop bag and keep it with me where
ever I am.

If you want to find the same thing, go to http://www.cdw.com and
search for "USB IR" without the quotes.

The product was 78.00, instock and I'll have it tomorrow afternoon
(knock wood). I'll let you know how it works out and I'll be
summarizing the 20 or so responses I got in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Dan and Peter.

> Peter's idea about using IR is a good one. It's what I do.
>
> Your local computer store should be able to provide you with a USB
> to IR
> converter. I actually installed an IR port in the desktop - it cost
> <$20. It
> fits in a 3.5 drive bay, so the IR port faces "front," and connects
> directly
> to the IR connector on the motherboard.

=====
John Posada