Re: Translations... dogma or realism?

Subject: Re: Translations... dogma or realism?
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:17:07 +0200

From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:12:38 +0200

Max wrote

>>... but the big problem is that the "general purpose machine translation
system"
marketroids make (the beancounters) believe that their product does it, and
that there is no more need to waste money on _translators_. And then, they
want everything done with such systems, and don't get the point that there
is more in translation than just replacing words or phrases.
<<

Hi Max,

I see, I spoke about the problems of translation itself, about
understanding each other, about what is possibele and what not, but there
is more. It is the misunderstanding that machines may replace human beings
on all parts. Cheaper, better, and so on.

As optimist, I think, they are not, at least, not in all areas. They are,
and they remain tools.

Best regards
Bernd
Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de