Re: Need Help: Writing a Network Design/Config Manual

Subject: Re: Need Help: Writing a Network Design/Config Manual
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:18:39 -0400

mariposa wrote:

> I have just been asked to write a network
> design/config manual.
>
> I really just need a framework - like a list of key
> areas and sub-areas that one mentions when describing
> a network.

My stuff at:
http://www.freeswan.org/doc.html
documents a tool for adding encrypted tunnels into networks.
It is almost certainly not exactly what you need, but might have
some ideas you can use. In particular, the glossary covers a lot
of networking terms, has links to other glossaries, and is freely
copiable under GPL. You might also find the bibliography useful.
The 1.6 version of those docs should appear this week, and is of
course vastly improved :-)

Schneier's new book "Secrets and Lies" covers network security well.

Some overview stuff is in:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1118.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc871.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2664.txt

My guess would be that any of the major vendors of routers and
other such network hardware (Cisco, Bay Networks (now part of Nortel),
or Ascend (now part of Lucent)) would have good info on network design
somewhere on their web sites.