Word read-only problem, take II

Subject: Word read-only problem, take II
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'bdoonan -at- coreco -dot- com'" <bdoonan -at- coreco -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:28:03 -0400

Brian Doonan provided additional troubleshooting information: <<I tried
selecting "save as" but I get a run-time error when I do (object doesn't
support this property or method)... The only way I can save this document is
when I close it with the "x" icon on the top right corner of the window. It
will then tell me to that "this file is read-only" and by selecting "OK" I
go to the "save as" window. I can then save under a different name but this
new file will have the same
corruption issues as the last... I know that I added a macro sometime ago
before vacation so I'm unsure that this is related.>>

Sounds like it could indeed be the macro that's causing the problem. Have
you tried deleting the macro and then resaving the file? How about exporting
the file in Word 6.X format, which should preserve all the important stuff
in the file (formatting, cross-refs, etc.) with the exception of the macros?

<<since I have hundreds of cross-references in this file, I am unwilling to
cut and paste to another "clean" file.>>

Why wouldn't that cut and paste preserve your cross-refs?

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer