Re: FWD: Contracting on the side...ethical?

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting on the side...ethical?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 06:21:43 -0700 (PDT)

I would look at four factors.

1) Is there any conflict of interest? Are they in any way, shape or
form, competition of your present company for market share,
technology, or intellictual property?
2) Would it compromise your effort at your present company either now
or during a crunch time at either of them?
3) Did you sign anything that said you wouldn't?
4) Do YOU have the nagging suspicion that it is unethical.

If you've answered yes to any of the questions, then yes, it is. It
doesn't matter who made the overture.

> I am employed for a dot.com start-up company as a technical writer.
> I was
> approached by someone who works for another dot.com in my building,
> to see
> if I would be interested in contracting with them for technical
> writing
> work. Is it unethical to consider doing this? I had not sought
> the work,
> and I am happy in my present job, but I must admit I am intrigued
> at the
> notion of contracting, and I'd like to find out more. I'd like to
> know if
> any other Techwhirlers had this situation arise, and how they
> handled it.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

What hair color do they put on the driver's
licenses of bald men?

http://mail.yahoo.com/