RE: Grammar question

Subject: RE: Grammar question
From: "McDonald, Nancy A." <NMcDonal -at- wcom -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:49:02 -0400

> Ashleigh Dalrymple asked, "Does anyone know if there is a rule about using
> 'all' versus 'all of'?"

Walt Campbell said....

> As I recall, either Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th edition)
> or the latest edition of the American Heritage Dictionary contains a usage
> note for "all" that addresses this.
>
> All in all, not something worth fussing over too much (though it does take
> me back to my copy editing da
Nancy says...
I just poked around my Fowlers' Modern English Usage... and Fowler
says..
"The intrusive use of "of" was said by the OED in 1888 to be a
comparatively modern construction, and rare except with pronouns (all of
whom... etc). It has since made headway, especially in U.S., but in Britain
"all teh ministers" ... are still regarded as preferable." (p. 18)

just my .03 worth... (well, actually, Fowler's money...)
Nancy McDonald
Sr. Project Manager
Process and Project Management
UUNET