Future of Technical Communications: New Media?

Subject: Future of Technical Communications: New Media?
From: Chantel Brathwaite <cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:39:20 -0400

Hi Techwhirlers --

I've been thinking about the future of technical communication and I've become very interested in what is now termed "new media." I've begun to research this and I think that the convergence of film/radio/tv/book in an *electronic* environment will
have a big impact on the technical communication field. Are any of you producing any type of technical documentation that would fall under the new media category, and if so, how did you break away from traditional manual-based docs? Do you see
technical communication moving in the direction of new media? On a seperate, but related note, do you know of a grad or undergrad program that incorporates all of these elements, with a tech communications/educational slant? When I performed a web
search [GOOGLE, NORTHERN LIGHT], I found a few programs -- but not many. I've seen lots of multimedia programs, but they seemed to be more visually-oriented, rather than a true melding of different communications media.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Chantel