RE: the OTHER test

Subject: RE: the OTHER test
From: "Ward, Curtis (DBS-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dbs-systems -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:51:39 -0400

In my It career, I've only had to tinkle in the cup once. I was working at
a consulting agency and had to submit to a drug test as part of the client's
requirements (it was NOT a routine requirement of the company that actually
signed my checks). Since I helped with the original RFP response to this
client, it wasn't a surprise. I didn't like it, but figured it wasn't worth
putting up a stink about.

If I were confronted with in the market today, I'm not sure how I would
respond. Guess it would depend on how badly I wanted that particular job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curtis Ward
curtis_ward -at- dbs-systems -dot- com

Brent Jones wrote:
<<<<<<<
As someone who has been contracting a lot over the last few years,
I've
noticed that more and more contracting agencies and (one presumes)
their
client companies are requiring a drug screen prior to employment.
I've been
in the field for 12 years, and had never been forced to consider the
issue
until a couple of years ago. Now I come across it rather frequently.
I'm
curious as to whether others have noticed this same trend and, if
so, what
their reaction to it are.

I think this is on-topic to discuss here at TECHWR-L if, as I
suspect, it's
something more and more of us must consider as part of the
hiring/employment
selection process. As a potential employee, would a required drug
screening
affect your decision to accept or reject a position with a company?
As
someone who hires others, is a drug screening a part of your hiring
process?
As a technical professional, have you ever been asked to undergo a
screen?
Was it an issue for you at all? What was your response?
<<<<<<<