Re: What do we call this button?

Subject: Re: What do we call this button?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:10:01 -0700

Technically, it is a Browse button. It is supposed to be used (by the MS
standard for UI) when there is not room for a button labeled Browse.
Generally, refer to buttons by their function. Ellipse is not really a
function. Knowing that it is an Ellipse button does not help the user tie it
to an action. And it helps the user to be able to tie it to an action.

We call it the Browse button and show a picture in the margin, unless we are
writing for programmers - in that case, we simply call it the Browse button.
They get it.


Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Wednesday, 18 October, 2000 11:00 AM
Subject: What do we call this button?

| Hi,
| We have a minor controversy going here, and I hope some of you can give us
| some input. I searched the archives but didn't find anything related.
| The program we're documenting has numerous fields where you can directly
| enter a value or you can select one from a list. To get to the list, you
| click a button to the right of the field with an ellipsis (...) on it.
| brings up a separate dialog box with the list and an OK button.

Previous by Author: Re: Help - registerserif
Next by Author: Re: the OTHER test
Previous by Thread: RE: What do we call this button?
Next by Thread: RE: What do we call this button?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads