RE: What do we call this button?

Subject: RE: What do we call this button?
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:05:10 -0400

Our software uses this button in several places, too. In some, it's truly a
"browse" button; in others, it opens up some kind of dialog box where
additional detail can be added.

We document all button names by placing them in square brackets:

Click the [OK] button.

This makes it very easy to document the mystery button. I usually say
something like:

Click the [...] button next the the Wazamajig field.

BTW, we also put keyboard keys in triangle brackets:

Press the <Enter> key.

This seems to help novices from getting confused about where they should be
looking -- keyboard or screen.