RE: What do we call this button?

Subject: RE: What do we call this button?
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:09:21 +0200

Sarah Newman needs a button name: <<The program we're documenting has
numerous fields where you can directly enter a value or you can select one
from a list. To get to the list, you click a button to the right of the
field with an ellipsis (...) on it. This brings up a separate dialog box
with the list and an OK button. We have been referring to this as the
ellipsis (...) button...>>

Hi Sarah,

I'm wondering why you need to document such specific steps each and every
time. You said you have numerous such fields. So perhaps a section
documenting HOW to use the interface, including these fields, is needed.
Then when you are documenting a specific screen, you can just say "fill in
the value." This has the added advantage of being easy to update should the
programmers come to their senses and create a better GUI.

Shalom from Jerusalem,

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com

Previous by Author: RE: simply (was: Reading Humor - makes angry)
Next by Author: Testing (was: RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed)
Previous by Thread: RE: What do we call this button?
Next by Thread: Re: What do we call this button?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads