RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed

Subject: RE: Sample Writing Tests Needed
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:30:56 +0100

Sherri wrote:
>"Well to go along with that, I was actually given a typed out spelling >and

>grammar test along with my writing skills test. I'm actually a good
>speller
>but I felt totally vulnerable without my spellchecker."

I've never refused to take a writing test. Nothing else shows you so well
what the company (and the technical writing department) is *really* like.
All those questions both you and the interviewer dance around, trying not to
ask or answer out loud, get answered. ("Yes, you'll be using the latest
cutting-edge technology and respected as a professional." / "Here's a piece
of paper and a pen, make sure you can spell 'submission to our whims'
correctly.")

I've had some really good writing tests, and some really good discussions
*about* writing tests at interviews. Once (like Sherri) I was given a
spelling test, and I stopped the test and explained to the interviewer that
no, I couldn't spell maneuver without looking it up, and I always checked
words with "ent/ant" endings to make sure that I'd got the right one - but
that, in my opinion, was what a dictionary and a spellchecker were for, and
I *did* know how to use both.

(I didn't get the job, but this had to do with a best friend of one of the
directors being interviewed for the same job, not with my ability to
spell...)

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.