RE: the OTHER test

Subject: RE: the OTHER test
From: "Karen Koldyk" <kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:34:19 -0500

Sarah Bane wrote:

That company also instituted criminal background checks of all
employees, so I also had to sign a consent form for that. Fortunately I
had nothing to hide on that score either. Has anyone else encountered
criminal background checks as a requirement?

When I was hired on with the federal government in Canada back in 87 I had to undergoe extensive security checks including a criminal check on not just my but my family's background as well as a credit check and who knows what else - i signed a blanket release as a condition of employment. This was for a clerical position where although I had access to confidential information about unemployment etc - I doubt I could have wreaked damage on anyone to the extent that they seemed to believe.

When I came to work at my current position in the US, taking a drug test did not seem at all intrusive in light of the numbers of drug users that are out there. I was concerned because I routinely take narcotic pain killers but it was not an issue. There is a list in a book I read - I believe it was the Knock Em Dead Series that lists various items that can cause a false positive. It also suggested a cleansing routine to take prior to a test which I believe included mega doses of Vitamin B.

Karen Koldyk
SQA Tech. Writer
Fleming Companies Inc.
kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com
(405)858-6574