Screen Capture + Word + PDF = Yuch

Subject: Screen Capture + Word + PDF = Yuch
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:10:51 -0500

I've resisted the temptation to just into the thread about the OTHER test,
and now I have a question that's a little more on topic. And I did try a
quick search of the archives without any luck, although I'm certain
something must be hiding in there somewhere.

I have a Word document with a number of screen captures. They look fine in
Word, but now that's it's time for product release we've done a PDF, and
many (but not all) of the images are almost unreadable due to
blurriness/corruption/whoknowswhat.

I'm not the one creating the PDF, but I have watched while its done. We've
tried PDFMaker (or PDFWriter...whatever it is that you use directly from
Word), and creating the PDF through Distiller. BTW, we're still stuck with
Acrobat 3 until next year's budget rolls around.

I can't figure out what went right with the images that came out well, or
how to fix the images that look horrible. Could someone please offer some
suggestions?

And while I'm at it, what software does anyone out there use for putting
graphics into WMF format?

Thanks,

David