Portfolio Organization (Was Portfolio vs- writing samples)

Subject: Portfolio Organization (Was Portfolio vs- writing samples)
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:07:31 -0600

Andrew, what order do you put this material? Do you put your letters
or commendation and awards ahead of your writing samples, or do you
place them after the writing samples?

For example, in my own portfolio, I have reference letters ahead of
tribute letters, which are both ahead of actual writing samples.
Reference letters are from people who are familiar with my work.
Tribute letters are from people who can acknowledge something I've
done, but who wouldn't otherwise know me from Adam. (E.g., a letter
from Toastmasters International acknowledging that I've completed an
ATM. TI could confirm that the award was completed--but couldn't tell
you anything about me as a speaker.)

Subject: Portfolio vs- writing samples
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -dot- mike -at- epamail -dot- epa -dot- gov>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:27:21 -0400

> As an experienced technical writer, with more than 13 years in the
> profession, I find a portfolio much more useful than "writing
samples."
> My portfolio contains writing samples; but unlike a simple
collection of
> samples, for which the actual authorship is difficult to verify, my
> portfolio also contains letters of commendation and awards.
Together,