Re: Container for portfolio?

Subject: Re: Container for portfolio?
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:24:56 -0700

"Christi Carew" <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com> wrote in message
news:73300 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> [...]
What I have done, successfully, is this:

I take various samples printed on 8.5" x 11" paper, including sections from
books, screens from online Help systems, and journal articles. I organize
them and then copy the whole thing double sided.

I then create a simple cover page. I have that copied on lightweight
cardstock. I use the same cardstock for a back cover and have the whole
thing tape bound.

Why this rather than a fancy (some might say pretentious) leather binding
notebook? Because in a half hour to hour interview, no one is going to have
time to really look at the content and organization of portfolio material.
So, thinking of my audience's needs, I simply give them a copy of the
portfolio and say they can review it at their leisure. They can send it back
to me or dispose of it when they are done, their choice.

Not only do I have good quality material in the portfolio itself, but this
method sends a clear message about what I believe is important: that the
customer/user needs, whoever they are, are the most important thing, and a
strong focus of mine.

Each copy costs just a few dollas each to produce, and turns out to be a
valuable investment.

As far as CD's, they could be a great idea. I may have been the first person
to put my resume in a WinHelp format, which I distributed on a floppy disk
nearly 10 years ago. But I encountered occasional resistance from those who
were afraid that my floppy would give them a virus. While rare, this could
happen when you burn a CD if you unknowingly have an infected system. Still,
the CD idea, both full-size and business card-size, is a great one.

--
Chuck Martin
Technical Writer, Online Help Author, GUI & Interaction Designer