Simultaneous Author Access to files [Cross-posted to HATT And Tec hwr-L]

Subject: Simultaneous Author Access to files [Cross-posted to HATT And Tec hwr-L]
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:44:16 -0400

I have five writers in my group, and we're constantly tripping each other up
when we try to access our files for updating. Currently we're using Word 97
(Word 2000 just doesn't cut it) and ForeHelp. Neither of these tools lets us
work efficiently as a group since only one person can have read/write access
to any one file at a time.

Are there ANY tools and/or Document Management Systems that will let us have
free rein to open and edit whatever needs editing, regardless of whether
someone else is using it or not? Or am I asking for the Holy Grail here?

Thanks ... and I'd also like to hear how many of you are running into the
same problem. If it's a big deal, perhaps the tool vendors will take notice
and add more DMS capabilities to their applications.

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe