RE: Simultaneous annotation of documents: second try

Subject: RE: Simultaneous annotation of documents: second try
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:54:57 -0400

David Berg writes:
"One item that I find a little curious. Microsoft did add this functionality
to Excel. In my department, we can all have the same spreadsheet open at the
same time, each of us make changes, and when we close or save, Excel will
save my changes, and the changes that other users have made, and put up an
alert box with details if any of the changes conflict with each other. You
do have to change some setting in Excel to allow this sort of sharing, but
it's interesting that Microsoft would offer it here, and leave it out of
Word."

MS offers the same thing with Access. The file handling strategy is
different from that of a word processing package. Because Access is
record-based, changes are implemented immediately and irrevocably as soon as
the user moves to another record. Thus, several users can be working on the
same file at the same time; they just can't be changing the same record. If
they are, an alert box will appear when a user makes changes and tries to
move to another record.

By itself, the "multiple undo" facility of Word should make the challenge
apparent.

Cheers ... Kim
kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com