Re: In Reference to Drug Testing

Subject: Re: In Reference to Drug Testing
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:12:31 -0400

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> IMHO, an employer who asks you to submit to a drug test as a condition
> of employment is not violating your rights,

My concern is that it is none of their business. They're attempting to
violate my privacy.

> since you clearly have the option to refuse. Yes, you'd probably lose
> the job, but it's not that different from other conditions of employment,

Here are two scenarios that seem equivalent to me:

Do you smoke dope? ... Well, we'd like to be certain, so please pee in
this cup and hand it to the technician over there.

Do you engage in oral sex? ... Well, we'd like to be certain, so please
spit in this cup and hand it to the technician over there.

I don't think there's any difference here. Neither question has anything
to do with the job. Neither answer is any of the company's business. I'd
be outraged that they had the gall to ask the question, let alone suggest
a test.