Rule vs. Exception

Subject: Rule vs. Exception
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:18:01 -0500

I'm merely bringing this up as an argument to say that drugs don't necessarily
make you a BAD writer, and I do consider alcohol a drug. Hemigway, and every
other famous author who drank, or did heroin, aside, I think it's possible to do
your day-to-day tasks if your body is accoustomed to the drug. In college I knew
many guys who my girlfriend's dated that were blue collar machinists and they
smoked pot all day long and still did their job, and didn't get fired.

Another friend repeatedly took crank, he is a manufacturing manager and has a BA
in aerospace engineering, and two masters, one an MBA, he was turned down for
one job because of a drug test when he was 23, but subsequently got a job that
didn't require drug tests.

So, back to my point, I think if you want to make sure people aren't doing drugs
give them a drug test, but I think people get around it all the time. I also
believe you can do an adequate job, depending on your body chemistry and drug of
choice.