Re: Writing / Drug Tests

Subject: Re: Writing / Drug Tests
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:39:21 -0700

At 11:33 AM 10/21/00 -0700, you wrote:

Yes, many companies do treat employees badly, but many employees also treat
their employer badly. The Employer/Employee relationship is just that - a
*relationship*.

My point is just that sometimes companies suck and there's nothing you can do about it. Period.

People ALLOW themselves to be taken advantage of because of their circumstance
or their inability to handle their lives. Don't give me that "oh, we're all so
put upon" thing.

In some cases you are -- you may be stuck in a less-than-perfect job market (and hence, a less-than-perfect job) due to other circumstances. Like you need to stay in the same city as your spouse/child/parent or whatever else. You could switch to a new career, but that takes time and money and sometimes you don't have that either. Bad stuff happens.

> Then it's a stupid interview.

See that's it...you want all the goodies, money, power, freedom, and respect -
but you aren't willing to work for it. Once upon a time, hard work used to be
a virtue in an of itself. Now, the modern equivalent is slime your way in the
door, blame EVERYBODY else, whine that your not being respected, avoid your
job, and when people pressure you - assert your rights and sue your way to
happiness.

Are you saying "you" generically or me specifically? Because if you're going for the latter, you're barking up the wrong tree. ;)

As an employer I should have a right to employ people who I think will get the
job done.

Yep. And you should do a good job at doing it. Ask the right questions, blah, blah, blah. I just think a 2-day long interview asking personal questions won't do the trick, and it's a stupid interviewing idea.

(And, in fact, in the US you do not have that right if your criteria violate any of the equal right amendments, for example)

And people who like to get stoned after work or have 90000 extra-work
responsibilities are not good hires. Why should I pay somebody a decent salary
when they won't commit to doing their job at my company?

I'd still say those are separate things. There are people out there who can do 150% at the job and 150% at home and everywhere else. I have no clue how they do it, but they can. So if you waste an interview asking them personal questions to try to determine if they'll be a good hire, than you're a bad interviewer. You're assuming too much and asking the wrong questions. You could ask them how many kids they have, what their high school GPA was, or how much recreational codeine they buy in countries that it's legal in until you're blue in the face... but I'd say you're better off finding out what technologies they know, figuring out how fast they're learn the ones they don't know, and how many books they can write in a year. Will they spend 2 hours writing to mailing lists to find out what the perfect font is when they only have a week to write a book? Or will they just go write it?

All you really need to know is if they'll meet to goals you ask them to meet. If they can do it while running their own country, taking care of 57 children, or working out of their basement, the bottom line is still that the job gets done. Right? ;) Or is that only your belief when it's convenient to your argument?

-Kate

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.