Re: Questions about help authoring

Subject: Re: Questions about help authoring
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:46:46 -0500

> - I'm leaning toward using ForeHelp Premiere for building the system,
though
> it only runs in Windows. The tutorial demonstrated a powerful tool. I'm
told
> that minor changes can be made directly to the resulting HTML in Unix
> without wrecking the help system, but if those minor changes aren't folded
> into the Forehelp project they'll be lost the next time the help is built.
> Further, we'd have to come back to ForeHelp for major changes. Any
thoughts?

One minor note about ForeHelp. We went that route this past summer, with no
one in the company having HAT experience. I was a little disgusted to learn
that while the import wizard worked fine in the downloadable demo, it was
not functional in the final product. A call to ForeHelp support revealed
that the wizard malfunction was a known bug, but one that they did not
intend to fix until version 5. In other words, another case of making the
customer pay for bug fixes.

David Berg