Re: Burning CDs and Keys

Subject: Re: Burning CDs and Keys
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:08:57 -0700

John Posada wrote:

> I'd explain it like this.
>
> 1) If you burn the key on to 5,000 copies of the CD and delivere them
> to your customers, then you burned the key.
>
> 2) if you burned the key, and the key is incorrect and the 5,000
> customers cannot open your CD, thern your job is burnt (as in toast).

It's a slow day, so I'll bite.

The two forms, "burnt" and "burned" are interchangeable. In Old
English, the past tense uses a suffix of either "t" or "ed,"
depending on the dialect and the writer's whimsy. In modern English,
"t" is more common in England and "ed" is more common in the United
States. As usual, Canadians tend to use both interchangeably.
Whichever you choose as an individual is a matter of no concern to
anyone except yourself.

If you don't believe me, change the language in your spell check and
see. Or, better yet, look it up in the OED.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Haven't you ever harbored the secret thought that Huck and Jim are
- at this instant - poling their raft down some river just beyond
our reach, so much more real are they than the shoe clerk who fitted
us just a forgotten day ago?"
- Dan Simmons, "Hyperion"