Re: Help! On Help

Subject: Re: Help! On Help
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:37:11 -0400

Martha Silverspring wrote:

> How do I learn to write HTML help without a tool like RoboHELP or Dreamweaver?
> ... Is there an easy way to learn to write HTML help?

I'm not sure what you mean by "HTML help". Do you just mean help text in HTML format
or some weird non-standard format?

Assuming you mean real HTML, I'd suggest just getting a plain text editor (e.g. Wordpad),
a good book on HTML, and doing it. Edit in one window, save (as text, not Word or some
other proprietary format), open with a browser in another window to see results. Try
more than one browser.

An example of docs I produced that way is:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/index.html

> I do have a book on HTML, so I can use that as a reference (Elizabeth Castro's book,
> "HTML for the World Wide Web").

O'Reilly (www.ora.com) "HTML: the Definitive Guide" is excellent.

Once you understand HTML a bit, try the Amaya browser/editor, freely downloadable
from: http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium, the standards body for the web. Amaya is one of
their tools for testing new standards. It supports some new features that not all the
commercial systems have yet, gives you multiple views -- browser, source, structure --
and automatically fixes some formatting errors. It will also do some extra tricks like
generating a table of contents, combining multiple files into one doc, converting to
XHTML, ..