Re: Document Numbering Schemes?

Subject: Re: Document Numbering Schemes?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:18:41 -0700

Mariposa BY wrote:

> My co just asked us to do a document numbering scheme.
> for types of docs - i.e., user guides, system adm
> guides, installation guides, etc.)
>
> Is there some special way to do this? Are there things
> to consider that might not be obvious? (i.e., regions,
> if your copany has any, etc.) Or can I just number in
> any logical way?

The numbering scheme should include discrete parts for:

1.) The type of document.
2.) The product.
3.) The major release number and minor release (1.2, etc.)
4.) A number for the revision being currently worked on (for
example, rev-.3, or, if you prefer to use the date instead,
00.10.24)

Depending on how the writing is done, you could also consider
including chapter numbers and a code for the wirter working on the
part.

Since the numbering scheme isn't for licensing, you can use fairly
obvious codes for the first two parts. When the current revision is
published, it would receive its major/minor release number, and drop
the revision number.

For example, the number for the sysadmin guide for a product called
Matrix might be:

Matrix.SA.3.5.rev-3

(For the record, this suggestion is taken from the type of numbering
system used in most free software products. There seems no reason
why it wouldn't work for documentation as well as software).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Haven't you ever harbored the secret thought that Huck and Jim are
- at this instant - poling their raft down some river just beyond
our reach, so much more real are they than the shoe clerk who fitted
us just a forgotten day ago?"
- Dan Simmons, "Hyperion"